MAINTENANCE POSITION-PART TIME
Portland Housing Authority is seeking an energetic individual who has experience maintaining properties. Ability to plan and perform a variety of building maintenance duties of a skilled and semi-skilled level.
Qualified individual must possess strong plumbing skills and working knowledge of electrical, HVAC, light carpentry, janitorial, painting, grounds and light vehicle maintenance.
Job description below.
Send resume and references by March 20, 2020 to Allen Harrison, Executive Director, Portland Housing Authority, 9 Chatham Court, Portland, CT 06480. Fax (860) 342-3961
Equal Opportunity Employer
Duties and responsibilities
- General maintenance and repair of apartment buildings and facilities.
- Perform a variety of work inside individual apartments, community rooms and office areas including:
- Light carpentry, basic electrical, plumbing, and painting and maintenance tasks as assigned.
- Repair areas include flooring, faucets, garbage disposals, smoke detectors, sinks, walls. Performs minor troubleshooting, adjustments of locks on doors, cabinets, closets, door hinges, changing filters on heating units, clogged toilets and changing light bulbs.
- Ordering supplies needed, making supply runs, arranging for services of outside vendors as needed; annotates and updates work orders.
Must be friendly and approachable to customers and co-workers. This position works directly with elderly and disabled individuals who sometimes require additional services and alternative methods of approach. Education, training, and experience which demonstrate an ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described. On the job experience greater than 5 years is a plus.
Knowledge of methods used in maintenance including basic knowledge of the following trades: carpentry, plumbing, glass replacement, painting, standard practices and tools used in the maintenance and repair of building facilities; safety practices and procedures related to the building trades; basic math to add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Maintenance is required to possess “tool belt” tools.
Skill and ability to: effectively use a variety of hand and power tools, read instructions; review and identify projects needed to be serviced by outside contractors; follow verbal and/or written instructions; communicate effectively in both verbal and written form; maintain work orders and complete in a timely manner; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work assignments.
- Possession of a valid driver's license
- Willingness to work outside (if necessary) in inclement weather.
- Self-starter and able to work independently.
- Attention to detail and possess pride in one’s craft!